Getting Comfortable With Child Themes: A Practical Workshop
Child themes are a simple but powerful way to customize a pre-made theme. Learning how to use them properly means you’ll never risk losing all your modifications when the developer releases a new version and you update the theme. Using easy-to-follow language, I’ll walk you through the steps to set up a child theme on your laptop’s WordPress installation and we’ll make some tweaks together – from CSS adjustments to more substantial changes in functionality.
- You should be comfortable with HTML and CSS basics, and have at least a general sense of WordPress theme file structure.
- Some beginner PHP knowledge is helpful but not required.
- Bring a laptop to follow along with the practical portion of the workshop.
- You’ll need a fresh localhost install of WordPress set up on your laptop, using software like MAMP. Try to have that ready in advance – if you run into any trouble, we’ll help you set it up in the first part of the workshop.
Date: Thursday, November 24, 2016
Venue: Centre cloud.ca
420 Rue Guy, Montréal, QC H3J 1S6
- This workshop is free but registration is required and spaces are limited.
- A light supper will be provided, courtesy of our sponsors.
- The workshop instruction will be in English but there will be bilingual TAs and questions are welcome in French or English.
Kathryn Presner thrives on helping people get the most out of WordPress. After a career designing and building websites for clients, she joined Automattic as a Happiness Engineer in 2012. She’s currently Theme Whisperer on the Theme Team, where she helps folks with customization, configuration, and troubleshooting. She enjoys spreading her passion for WordPress and encouraging new public speakers at WordCamps, Girl Geeks, Ladies Learning Code, and other grassroots events. Non-WordPress obsessions include vintage Pyrex mixing bowls and growing garlic.